Sunday, February 18, 2007

Children's Books

The thought occurred to me the other day that, now that my girls are 17 and 13, I don't really get exposed to the new children's books much any more. Time was I was right on the hot button of children's literature when perusing the latest arrivals at the bookstore or library, or just talking with my kids. But now they've moved on to teen and young adult novels (but we still enjoy Lemony Snicket and Harry Potter, of course!) and I'm not as "hep" on what's hot out there for kids.
Sooooo, I invite you to respond to this blog and tell me!
If you are a librarian or teacher, tell me what's new and hot for kids!
If you are a kid, tell me what you are reading!
As you know, I love to read and I love to write songs about children's books, so I need to keep up.
I'm looking forward to your replies, and thanks!
Judy

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Judy, I think you should check out the Ladybug Award books. They are picture books that were nominated by librarians but voted on by children. The most recent winner is "I Ain't Gonna Paint No More" by Karen Beaumont. Past winners are "Skippyjon Jones" by Judy Schachner, "My Lucky Day" by Keiko Kasza and "I Stink" by Kate and Jim McMullan. I'll think of more but hopefully this will get you started. Sandy @ GPL.

Anonymous said...

Hi Judy, Here are a few more suggestions. One of my favorite read-alouds is "Why Epossumondas Has No Hair on His Tail" by Colleen Salley. He is a real cutie patootie. Another spot to check for the older set would on our home page under award winners. Check out the Great Stone Face, Isinglass and Flume Awards. They have all been chosen as favorites by kids in NH. Sandy @ GPL.