Sunday, February 15, 2009

Swimming in Jello for the Millionth Time

Actually, I don't really know how many times I've sung Swimming in Jello, but I bet it's well over a thousand....and every time I sing it, I have fun. It's fun because the kids make it fun...their dancing, their singing, their crazy faces and silly moves....all work together to make the song fresh to me every time. Because it's all about the audience. Whether a kid is hearing the song for the first time or the tenth time, they're loving it and that makes me love it.
I'm talking about this because I have been reflecting on my experience at the Grammys last week. Two artists who have been performing live since the early sixties performed...each did one of their biggest hits...and I'm sure it was probably the millionth time each one had sung that particular signature song.
One artist, who shall remain nameless, pretty much slept-walked his way through the song, more speaking it than singing it. It was like the worst Vegas lounge act ever, and he showed no respect for the song OR the audience and their love of the song. The other artist, who shall remain Sir Paul McCartney, sang I Saw Her Standing There as though it was the first time he ever sang it, resulting in a huge outpouring of enthusiasm, excitement and love, love, love from the audience. For those of us seeing him for the first time live it couldn't have been better, and for those who had seen him sing it before and those watching on TV I'm sure the experience was almost as exciting because he was clearly so into it.
That's the difference between a real pro who has music in him and LOVES it and his audience, and one who is probably still just doing it for the dough.
I hope I'm still singing Swimming in Jello with that much gusto when I'm nearly 70! And I sure hope there's an audience that wants to hear it!

No comments: