Thursday, December 24, 2009

My Christmas Wish

I woke up this morning, Christmas Eve, from a nightmare I sometimes have. I won't go into the details, but it led me to writing this, my Christmas wish.

I wish no child had to worry about Mom or Dad (or both) getting drunk this Christmas season. I wish no child had to sit at home and wonder if Mom and Dad were going to make it home alive from that Christmas party. I wish no child had to suffer through family gatherings where just about every adult was drinking alcohol, and some were so drunk they got sick or passed out, or had fights with each other. I wish no child had to ride home from such a party with a drunken parent at the wheel.
I wish no child had to hear horrible things being said because an adult was drunk, things that would or could never be forgotten. I wish no child had to be in fear of being hurt at Christmas-time (or any other time, for that matter) because a caregiver or other adult in their life was out of control due to alcohol. I wish no child had to experience a Christmas morning with a hungover parent...or, worse yet, one who was still drunk from the night before.

I wish children could learn that Christmas celebrations are happy and healthy times, times of celebration and love that DON'T have to include a mind-and-mood altering substance like alcohol. I wish children could learn that you could have fun, watch a sporting event, have a party, go out to eat, and LIVE HAPPY without alcohol.

I wish that every grown-up would remember that children learn what they live, they watch what we do, and they model themselves after us. What we do is far more impactful than what we tell them to do.

I wish that you and your family have a wonderful Christmas full of light and laughter ...a Christmas to remember always. One that won't give anyone nightmares forty years later.

God bless you and yours.
Judy

No comments: