Friday, March 13, 2009

Family Music in a Tight Economy

Every year from January to April I spend hours and hours lining up my summer touring schedule. This year, however, I'm noticing a trend...the libraries, festivals, parks & rec departments and others who regularly book me are suffering from slashed budgets and are cutting their program offerings to the bone. Usually I do two or three performances a DAY in the summer, but right now it is shaping up to be far less than that.
That's where you come in, loyal friend and fan! If you would like to see me perform in your town, here's a new idea for you:
Get together with your neighbors and host a block party! These are becoming more and more popular these days. In these tough times we all need some music and laughter and fun to cheer us up. An old fashioned block party may be just the ticket for you. Get together with your neighbors and plan a date, then go to your Town Hall for a permit. Everyone can share in the expenses of providing food and beverages, and if each family chipped in a few bucks, you could hire me to entertain the kids.
The only thing that may get in the way is the weather, so you will need a contingency plan in case the skies open up. We could book a rain date, or I could perform in a home family room or community rec room.
If you are interested in exploring this idea further, don't hesitate to contact me via email at judypancoast@comcast.net!

No comments: